Executive Committee Minutes 9-12-20
SEPT. 12, 2020
I'm a paragraph. I'm connected to your collection through a dataset. Click Preview to see my content. To update me, go to the Data Manager.
9/12 Meeting Minutes Recap
-12 in attendance
- Things are in the works for Community Coordination
- Suggestion to work on reaching out to Wallingford-Swarthmore and Rose Tree Media school districts about hiring more black and brown school teachers, create lessons in diversity about black literature, black history, and black art, creating more extracurricular activities for the school districts by the youth council
- suggestion to partner with local HBCU’s in our area and giving them support.
- Suggestion of virtual tours for general membership
- invited and voted to partner with Delco Black caucus to enforce trauma and biased base classes in all grades for kids and educators to learn about traumatic incidents of students of color and how to do it.
- NAACP National Convention
- 2 big fundraising events: an annual fundraiser and a fundraiser that is held twice a year
- advised to submit reports to President or the secretary before the meeting.
Press And Publicity Chair – Miles Clark
- Instagram will be worked on today
Upon motion made by Lauren Block, and duly seconded by Donna Levy, it was voted to accept the Press and Publicity report
Education Chair- Bianca Blake
- Taking to President soon on the following:
o Reaching out to area school districts to see if there is an equality and equity officer and see what their plan is to support students of color
- Open house today for college admissions sponsored by AKAs of Chester, wish to invite Dr. Jackie to the next meeting
Upon motion made by Lauren Block, duly seconded by Donna Levy, it was voted to accept the Education report.
Entertainment Co-Chair – Donna Levy
- Nothing to Report
Upon motion made by Bianca Blake, duly seconded by Lauren Block, it was voted to accept the Entertainment report.
Political Action Chair – Lauren Block
- Suggestion to see what we can do about voter disenfranchisement
- Suggestion create a statement to support LGBTQ+ people of color
Upon motion made by Miles Clark, and duly seconded by Norah Martin, it was voted to accept the Political Action report.
Finance Co-Chair – Norah Martin
- Nothing to report
Upon motion made by Dr. Marinda, and duly seconded by Dallas Barber, it was voted to accept the Finance report.
Membership chair – Sarah Ahlgren
- Created flyer for Halloween fundraiser
- Proposal to host a table for membership recruitment at Media farmers market on a Sunday
Upon motion made by Lauren Block and, duly seconded by Donna Levy, it was moved to take a vote on hosting a membership table at the Media Farmers market and choosing a date with General Membership
o The vote was unanimous.
- Proposal to ask Delco school districts to share membership flyer
- Suggestion to create yard signs (custom/ mass production) for general membership
o Pay for a yard sign to gain profit
o Lauren will research prices
- Proposal to create a GroupMe for the executive board and a Remind for General members.
Upon motion made by Dr. Marinda, and duly seconded by Lauren Block, it voted to create a GroupMe for the NAACP Youth Council Executive Board and create a Remind for General Membership at the next General Membership meeting.
Upon motion made by Dr. Marinda, and duly seconded by Dallas Barber, it was voted to amend the motion.
- Proposal to creating a google form for members to join committees if they cannot attend meetings and to be sent through Remind.
Upon motion made by Donna Levy, and duly seconded by Lauren Block, it was voted to continue with this proposal.
- Friday, October 30th 7pm – 8pm
- Over Zoom and will also be streamed live through Facebook
- Promotional flyer created by Sarah
- Dr. Marinda offered to provide decorations for anyone who wishes to decorate their background
- Suggestion to show virtual haunted house tours such as Eastern State Penitentiary
o Link here for virtual haunted house tours: https://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/fun-at-home/g34274156/best-virtual-haunted-houses/
- Suggestion for there to be different activities prior to the event for specific age groups
- Suggestion for a costume contest
- Game ideas:
o Virtual Bingo
Send emails to participants at the beginning of the event
• Use Kami to create a bingo board
o Halloween Kahoot
o More ideas for games: https://www.greatgroupgames.com/zoom-in-game-halloween
- Websites for more ideas for Halloween event:
- Anymore ideas, please contact the President
- Friday, November 6th, 2020 7pm to 9:30pm
- 2 hour and 18 minutes
- Sarah will create the promotional poster
- With a vote of five to two, the movie that was chosen for the film festival is Black Panther.
- Renting on YouTube
- Suggestion to have a trivia afterwards
Upon motion made by Lauren Block, and duly seconded by Donna Levy, it was voted to continue with this event.
An Evening with Jo Ann Bland
- Tuesday, October 13th @ 7:30PM
- A survivor of Bloody Sunday (March 7, 1965), Turn Around Tuesday, and the successful march from Selma to Montgomery (March 21, 1965). On Bloody Sunday, March 7, 1965, she and her sister were on the bridge and her sister was beaten. Hear her eyewitness account as she speaks to us from Selma, Alabama. She is an engaging and powerful speaker who will challenge all of us to continue marching and making a better world.
Breonna Taylor Candlelight Vigil
- Saturday, Oct. 10 at 6 pm
- Not mandatory to attend :)
- Hosted/Organized by Black Delco Speaks and DCYEA
- Open to the public - we are invited as INDIVIDUALS, not representing the NAACP
- Senta will be there!
Upon motion made by Bianca Blake, and duly seconded by Donna Levy, it was voted to adjourn this meeting at 11:18am.
- Membership chair can have the emails of general members
- Short poll to be created for parents and members to ask what is the reason for attendance, and suggest feedback
- 1/3 quorum of executive board is needed to take votes
- “Hearing none, the motion passes…” for unanimous decisions.